Cold Chain Monitoring
Improper temperature control is a key reason why food and other perishable cargo are wasted in the supply chain. Smart transportation companies understand the value of reliable cold chain monitoring and delivering properly cooled food and pharmaceuticals to customers.
As a leader in the global refrigerated transportation market, some of the biggest companies trust ORBCOMM for complete end-to-end solutions for two-way wireless tracking and monitoring of reefers, containers and other assets involved in the cold chain—whether on land, rail or sea.
So whether you are responsible for a reefer fleet, own refrigerated rail or sea containers, or operate multi-temperature, multi-zone trailers, ORBCOMM’s cold chain monitoring solutions provide complete control to protect refrigerated cargo and optimize utilization.
Monitor Cold Chain Operations for Increased Profitability
- Ensure cargo temperature stays within the acceptable range and use sensors to alert if any sudden changes occur.
- Minimize temperature-related load rejections, reduce costly spoilage claims, cut redelivery costs and use “lockdown” mode to help prevent cargo theft.
- Provide critical reports to determine location, reduce dwell times and optimize reefer performance.
Reduce Fuel Consumption and Fleet Operating Costs
- Read data from fuel sensors and send alarms in the event of rapid fuel loss or theft. Detect and resolve improper fuel invoicing, and eliminate unnecessary continuous run usage.
- Track engine hours and mileage to decrease engine maintenance, tire replacement costs, and to extend trailer lifetime and warranty periods.
- Enable advanced vehicle management for increased productivity and decreased operating and maintenance costs.
Improve the Safety of Food and Pharmaceutical Transport
- Use standalone temperature recorders for reliable temperature reports that can be printed on-demand upon delivery.
- Send, save, archive and analyze transport data via Dedicated Short Range Communication (DSRC).
- Keep a historic record of reefer temperature readings, and exchange temperature control information for the entire duration of journeys.
Enhance Regulatory Compliance
- Automate compliance with the U.S. Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA) and other food safety regulations.
- Comply with stringent pharmaceutical transport requirements, such as the Good Distribution Practice(European Directive 92/25/EEC).
- Leverage devices from a manufacturer validated for Good Automated Manufacturing Practice (GAMP5) compliance.
Track Gensets for Fuel, Location and Operating Status
- Genset tracking and management from point of origin to destination.
- Monitor alarms that indicate unplanned genset shut-downs, low fuel and other critical conditions.
- Reduce the number of manual inspections required to verify whether gensets are working.
Integrate Easily Into Dispatch Systems
- Use top dispatch systems (McLeod, TMW Systems, PeopleNet) as the main interface for a centralized view of asset location, temperature/sensor readings and alarm events.
- Send commands from dispatch systems such as reefer unit on/off, change temperature set points, poll trailer location and more.